GreenPower are delighted to be sponsoring the Community Initiative Award of the RSPB Nature of Scotland 2017 Awards with the following projects having been shortlisted:
- Cumbernauld Living Landscape works to engage communities to enhance, restore and connect the urban greenspace areas of the town and ensure healthy places are at the heart of the town’s future.
- Greenbuds is a project from Dundee Association for Mental Health which supports individuals to access the outdoors to improve mental health and wellbeing throughout Dundee and the surrounding area.
- Growing for Nature is a grassroots social project initiated and run by the local community. They aim to produce sustainable food that is grown in a way which enhances and supports the other flora and fauna in Muiravonside Country Park.
- Tayport Community Garden is a community growing space where organisations, groups, families and individuals of all abilities can work, learn and socialise.
- The South Seeds Croft is a community garden that’s been developed on the disused tennis court of the Queen’s Park Bowling and Tennis Club at Queen’s Park recreation ground on the south side of Glasgow.
In a year with a record number of nominations, the awards will recognise excellence, innovation and outstanding achievement in Scottish nature conservation. The Community Initiative Award will go to an outstanding community-based initiative that benefits nature and has been developed and led by the people it serves, acting as an inspiration to others and offering real value to the whole community.
Rob Forrest, GreenPower’s CEO, explained that “Working with, not against nature, is an absolute priority at GreenPower. Our sponsorship of the Community Initiative Award reflects our desire to recognise the hard work of individuals and organisations working to safeguard their natural environment. We look forward to seeing exciting and worthwhile community projects getting the recognition they deserve.”
Organised by RSPB and hosted by ecologist, natural history presenter and writer Mike Dilger and BBC TV and radio presenter Euan McIlwraith, the duo will announce the winners at the prestigious black tie presentation dinner on 23 November at the Sheraton Grand Hotel in Edinburgh.